What can’t I put in my garbage diposal?
Garbage disposal units, food waste disposers, that awful thing that someone
thought it was a good idea to wire to the switch you always hit when you’re
trying to turn on the lights, you know how useful they can be when they
work. But did you know that they aren’t capable of handling everything
you could throw in them?
Things you should never throw into the disposal unit include:
Grease, oil, fat
- These can congeal in your pipes and cause clogs, and they are breeding grounds for bad smelling bacteria
- The Food Waste Disposer is really meant only for biodegradable food waste, everything else needs to stay in the trash, recycling, or compost
Pasta, beans, potatoes, rice
- These are hydrophilic foods which grow in volume when they get wet, meaning they can very easily cause clogs in your plumbing
- These do not sharpen your disposal blades as is commonly thought, and they can actually cause it to jam with additional sediment
Fibrous food like Celery, lettuce, potato peels, etc.
- The fibers can catch on the blades and mechanism of the unit and cause it to seize up
If you have put any of these down your disposal and noticed a change in how it sounds or functions, don’t hesitate to call a professional plumber to have it fixed!
Do It Right Plumbers is proud to offer the best possible plumbing experiences to our customers. With our fixed pricing you can rest easy knowing you won’t be overcharged or blindsided by additional costs. Our teams are available to come in for a free home plumbing evaluation, and we’re available to help with all your plumbing needs at a time that works best for you. Call us today at (949) 829-4880, or visit our website to set up your appointment today.